Punknews.org
Broadcaster - Joyride (Cover Artwork)

Broadcaster

Broadcaster: JoyrideJoyride (2011)
self-released

Reviewer Rating: 4
User Rating:


Contributed by: BryneBryne
(others by this writer | submit your own)

Writing an effective rock song isn't rocket science. Take a solid melody, a catchy hook, throw in some calculated, buzzing guitars and a few tidy drum fills and you're usually 90 percent of the way home–the remaining 10 percent is left for any wild cards or unique flashes. The ratios of a lot .
iTunes Store


Writing an effective rock song isn't rocket science. Take a solid melody, a catchy hook, throw in some calculated, buzzing guitars and a few tidy drum fills and you're usually 90 percent of the way home–the remaining 10 percent is left for any wild cards or unique flashes. The ratios of a lot of bands are askew, resulting in plenty of unmemorable or unlistenable ideas that dilute the final product, regardless of musician intent; one quick perusal of Bandcamp or Facebook confirms this hypothesis. Keep it simple, stupid.

On the Joyride EP, Broadcaster show quite the aptitude and appreciation for the formula. They're a power trio (as many great rock bands are; think about it) and like a lot of power trios, they're able to take what might be perceived as an inherent disadvantage and make it work. Less is truly more in this case, as opener "Snow Party" succeeds on the strength of its infectious chorus, highlighted by the well-placed "whoa"s of vocalist Jesse Litwa. "All Your Friends" pulls in the reins just a bit; the guitars twinkle a little more and the chorus is primarily instrumental, but the band remain firmly within their element.

The mid-tempo plod of "Atlantic Sea" is almost reminiscent of latter-era Thermals in its simplicity and calculation; even Litwa's inflections sound similar to those of Hutch Harris at certain points. The drums becoming more cymbal-heavy as the song progresses is a nice, subtle touch as well. Joyride closes in much the same way it began, with "Vacation Days" leaning heavily on its huge chorus.

Also of note is this EP's production. Tom Kelly's basslines are quite high in the mix, giving these songs a thicker, fuller sound than one might expect from a three-piece. The band produced Joyride themselves and with one listen, it's easy to hear why. Highly recommended.

DOWNLOAD/STREAM
Joyride EP

 

 
People who liked this also liked:
The Flatliners - CavalcadeBomb the Music Industry! - VacationThe Copyrights - North Sentinel IslandThe Gaslight Anthem - The '59 SoundThe Clash - London CallingThe Lawrence Arms - Oh! Calcutta!Lemuria - Get BetterScream Hello - Everything Is Always Still HappeningMitch Clem - Nothing Nice to Say [book]Heartsounds - Until We Surrender

Please login or register to post comments.What are the benefits of having a Punknews.org account?
  • Share your opinion by posting comments on the stories that interest you
  • Rate music and bands and help shape the weekly top ten
  • Let Punknews.org use your ratings to help you find bands and albums you might like
  • Customize features on the site to get the news the way you want.
Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not respon sible for them in any way. Seriously.
frank460 (September 25, 2011)

band is so good. they remind me of weezer.

inagreendase (September 12, 2011)

Review has a conspicuous lack of Jawbreaker and Minutemen references.

EP itself is pretty good.

Exclusive Streams

Sponsored


Newest Reviews

Punknews.org Team

Other Places to Go