The Phenomenon of Craving is a good EP. It was released after the awesome Operation Phoenix in May 2000. The EP has 6 songs, here's a rundown:
1. Cages - the opening track, and a typical GR classic. It has the sound bite, then an Operation Phoenix style fast song ensues.
It is great: short, melodic and hard hitting. You'll be singing along on the second listen
2. One for the braves - a truly awesome tune, and probably the best on the EP.
It is one of those fast, melodic love songs that GR does so well. Russ sings about love without the cliché phrases and with sincerity. Something that anyone can relate to. Plus its got a sweet guitar part.
3. Uniontown - Probably my least favorite song, it is slower and I didn't get into it as much, however, it definitely grows on you
4. Calendar - Another fast, melodic song, good lyrics and similar to something you'd hear on ballads from the revolution
5. Start at Zero - this song also has great lyrics, that was the highlight of the song for me, it is an older sounding song
6. Undefeated - A good closer. Intense, fast and aggressive. Pretty much what you'd expect of Good Riddance. It hits hard, but is another really short song, just over 1 minute or so.
Overall, this EP was a strange mix, after the pure anger of Operation Phoenix, it has a different style and is a good taster for someone experiencing GR for the first time.
It only clocks in at about 15 minutes, but it's worth buying just for the first two tracks. Both classics.
Good Riddance are an amazing band that never cease to release great music. Check out Ballads from the Revolution or their newest Bound By Ties of Blood and Affection.