- Submit News
- Best New Music
- New Releases
- Contact Us
Stavesacre: (stavz'a'ker)(stavz'a'ker) (2002)
Reviewer Rating: 3.5
I really wanted to like this record when I first listened to it. I have all of Stavesacre's albums, and they're one of my favorite bands. However, it took a few listens for this one to grab me. But enough about me and more about the band.
This is Stavesacre's first album since leaving Tooth And Nail for Nitro Records, and it mostly follows in the footsteps of their last record, speakeasy. I don't think it works quite as well as an album, but it does contain a few very good songs. Mark Solomon's Vocals are as always a highlight, and the occasional use of strings brings the intensity of the album up a notch. If you are at all a fan of the band, this record is a must. If you've never heard Stavesacre before, you may as well start here as this features some of their finest songs.
In the end, this is a solid album that will likely appeal to fans of Tool and AFI.
1. Witch Trial - 5/5 Awesome song, a really great choice to lead off the album.
2. Blind Hope - 4/5 A good solid song
3. Alice Wishlist - 4/5 I didn't like this one at first, but now it's growing on me.
4. Island - 5/5 Another gem, the backing vocals are simply excellent.
5. A Place Where I can breathe - 5/5 More rock!
6. If Not Now - 3/5 An alright song, but it didn't really grab me
7. Night Town - 2/5 Not quite up to par, reminds me too much of Sundown Motel from Speakeasy
8. The Sad Parade - 4/5 I dig this song.
9. Why Good People Suffer - 5/5 Here's the rock! Stavesacre shows a little hardcore edge in this track, and I have to say I like it.
10. Yes - 1/5 Hands down my least favorite track, it drags on for 5:26 and goes nowhere. I know Stavesacre was trying to write a little more "mellow" song here, but it simply falls flat in this case.
11. World to Wait - 4/5 A decent closer, but not quite perfect.
Please login or register to post comments.What are the benefits of having a Punknews.org account?
Managing EditorAdam White
Contributing EditorsKira Wisniewski Brittany Strummer Armando Olivas John Flynn Chris Moran John Gentile
Copy EditorAdam Eisenberg Britt Reiser
Podcast ProducerNariman Shariat
ISSN 1710-5366© Copyright 1999-2013 Punknews.org
Other Places to Go