Welcome to another delightful edition of, "Things people consider the best things of this year and we post them because they're people we like and you probably care about"….Or (if you're into brevity) the, "Best of 2011" lists. In this edition we feature Luke McNeill of The Copyrights, Brian Przybylski of Shores and Dave Drobach of Grabass Charlestons. Check back often to see the opinions of those who matter spattered across our front page. It's what space Santa would want.
Luke McNeill - The Copyrights
10. Direct Hit - Domesplitter
9. Night Birds - The Other Side of Darkness
8. Underground Railroad to Candyland - Knows Your Sins
7. Yuck - Yuck
6. Tenement - Napalm Dream
5. Banner Pilot - Heart Beats Pacific
4. Fucked Up - David Come to Life
3. House Boat - The Thorns of Life
2. Bright Eyes - The People's Key
1. Ryan Adams - Ashes and Fire
Brian Przybylski - Shores
- Talons' - Songs for Foats
The saddest, most beautifully composed songs about life, er, I mean, boats, possibly ever written.
- Accordion Crimes - Songs to Drive Wives Away
The album that should finally make the "90s throwback" tag extinct, and start a new era.
- Creepoid - Horse Heaven
We were lucky enough to become great pals with the best new band we heard in 2011.
- Widowspeak - s/t
A go-to for all the bummer summer nights and hungover fall mornings.
- True Widow - As High as the Highest Heavens…
As if we didn't know the follow up was going to drown everything else.
- Wavelets - Athaletics
The kind of record that makes you glad you have a band, and makes me wish I had another.
- Real Estate - Days
If this is too anything for you, you're doing it all wrong. guitar and vocal melody perfection.
- Seapony - Go with Me
So familiar, so undeniable. A van staple.
- Restorations - s/t
When I was a kid, I couldn't ride my bike across town without getting hit by water balloons thrown by older kids. For some reason that seems relevant to my love for this record.
- Daniel Striped Tiger - No Difference
The main riff of "no reverse." No further words needed.
Dave Drobach - Grabass Charlestons / No Idea Production Manager
- Future Virgins - Western Problems
- Cutman - Universal Laws
- Good Luck - Without Hesitation
- Senders - Lucidity / Lividity
- Post Teens - s/t 7"
- Obits - Moody, Standard and Poor
- Chris Wollard & Addison Burns - Little Bitta 7"
- Tom Waits - Bad As Me
- Big Eyes - Hard Life
- Big Kitty - Florence