Extreme Noise Terror photographed by Rudy De Doncker
Extreme Noise Terror formed in January 1985, and at their first gig they were immediately signed up by Manic Ears Records. Their first release was a split album with Chaos UK, entitled 'Radioactive', firmly stamping their caustic arrival all over an unsuspecting music scene, mixing metallic aggression with punk attitude, leaving an indelible impact, helped in no small part by a barbaric double vocal attack. However, shortly after the release, Pig Killer left the band and the drumming stool became vacant, and was consequently filled by one Mick Harris (ex–Napalm Death,now of Scorn.)

1987 proved a significant year for the band, as Radio One DJ John Peel became interested in the noise E.N.T. were making, and, after seeing them perform live decided to offer them a session on his show. The resulting Peel Session was released by Strange Fruit as a mini album, and was received so well that a second recording for the show was made. This one, however, was never released. Drummer Harris then departed to be replaced by Stick, and a few weeks after his arrival Extreme Noise Terror recorded their first full album, the aptly titled 'A Holocaust In Your Head', on Hurt Records. A full headline tour of Europe and Japan ensued as the band spread their special brand of mayhem further afield.

E.N.T. were then asked to record yet another Peel Session, their third, which was released along with the debut session as a full length album. After a successful European tour, they released an album for Vinyl Japan entitled 'Phonophobia', and visited Japan for the second time to coincide with the release. Once again, the band found support from John Peel, and it was on his show that Bill Drummond of The KLF became impressed by the band. The two acts got in contact and Drummond asked them to re–record a version of The KLF's '3am Eternal' and to appear on the Christmas Day Top of the Pops, playing live. Despite the song being recorded, the BBC decided that E.N.T.'s version was not suitable to be screened on daytime television. Consequently it was banned, and in retaliation The KLF boycotted the show.

Eventually, the song did see the light of day on a limited edition single, and won 'Single of the Week' in the NME and the Melody Maker. The two bands were then asked to perform live at the 1992 Brit Awards, and E.N.T. made national newspaper headlines when they fired blanks from a machine gun at the unsuspecting audience and caused chaos at the after show party. The KLF and E.N.T. then recorded an album of new material together titled 'The Black Room', but on its completion the album was withdrawn as The KLF announced their retirement from the music world, and the deletion of all their past material.

Extreme Noise Terror went on touring throughout 1993, and by 1994 there had been several line up changes original drummer Pig Killer returning, and the bass position taken on by Lee Barrett (also of Disgust), and a lead guitarist, Ali, also swelling the ranks. This latest incarnation signed to Earache in June 1994, and re–recorded their old classic material with the new guys under the title of 'Retro–bution', released in January '95. A short UK tour was followed by European and American tours, after which Pig Killer left the band. A replacement was found in the form of Was, who originally played in the early Cradle of Filth line up. However, the line up changes continued with the shock announcement that long time vocal duelist Phil Vane was joining Napalm Death, after their split with Mark 'Barney' Greenway.
Napalm Death

Napalm Death